Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Indiana is under attack

I guess the gays are on the march again and going after married couples in Indiana. It is tough to see, really, and I wonder how many married couples might seek divorce because of the possibility that, let me phrase it how my good buddies at Focus on the Family phrased it..."it is only a matter of time before an activist judge in some court case somewhere in Indiana rules in such a way that will usher in gay 'marriage'".

According to the Indiana Family Institute, "Indiana's data on divorce is so flawed that it does not bother to report it." So while it appears that the attack is real, and the consequences are brutal, nobody really cares to keep track.

Let me tell you that Beef Trifle is here for you. If you feel that the gays are attacking your marriage, and that the sanctity of your union is being threatened, please let me know and I'll try to bring attention to the issue through my five or so loyal readers.

In the mean time, according to Wikipedia, the country has about 750,000 homeless people. Too bad they didn't threaten the sanctity of marriage. Then all of us good Christians might give a damn.

4 comments:

The Lone Female said...

Ooohhh, so that's what happened in my first marriage. It was the gays' fault! Well you know, Grandma did have her theory...

Tor said...

ok, so i don't get how a christian can be so flippant about something that is so clearly wrong...can you explain??? or are you merely disparaging one reason that has been bandied about by christians?

Brennan said...

I also think that living together before marriage is wrong - and there is strong Biblical support of that - yet I don't see Christians banding together to disallow those who have lived together from being married.

I just think Christians have gone out of their way to demonize the homosexual community, and have moved from loving the sinner and hating the sin to a full attack mode. And to label it as "protecting" marriage is just absurd. My marraige is between my wife, myself, and my Lord. The state of Minnesota has nothing to do with it, nor does the marriage of others quite frankly. I'm not saying I support gay marriage (I actually support abolishing marriage as a state sanctioned institution) - I just don't see how that has become issue number 1 (or 2 slightly behind abortion, unless you read FRC's action guide) for Christians. It just makes us look shallow (IMO).

Tor said...

well, except that's a flawed analogy. the act of marrying two people who have sinned (lived together) does not perpetuate the sin. the act of engaging in homosexual behavior is wrong and marrying does not "cure" that sin (for lack of a better word). once married, the two heteros are no longer sinning.

i've heard many arguments about getting the state out of marriage and making them all civil unions. it sounds reasonable, but that's what scares me. something somewhat bi-partisan that sounds reasonable makes me think i should avoid it...

and of course, you are forgetting the other things that come with either a state-sanctioned gay marriage or civil union...all the benefits that inure to heteros will inure to homos. i.e. adoption.

but i agree, the argument you disparage in your blog is probably the weakest of them all. although, i did hear a statistic that divorce is declining and it is no longer true (if ever it was) that the divorce rate is 50%.